I Toured Manila on a Budget

11:30 PM 1 Comments A+ a-


I was ecstatic the first time my parents allowed me to go on my own to Manila. I was going to attend a seminar in a hotel in Malate. Growing up in Baguio, I was scared of the thought of traveling and commuting on my own in Manila. My boyfriend did come with me because he was also paranoid of me going alone. The culture was different from the place I grew up in. In fact, the last time I visited Manila with my family, we encountered some annoying and rude taxi drivers. As some of you know, the taxi drivers in Baguio are very honest and kind. They would even return your change even if it was just a single peso. With that in mind, I decided to commute and not take the taxi.

Before traveling, I already did some research on the place I would stay and asked some of my friends some directions on how to navigate the area. I really wanted to go around Manila on a budget because my goal was to only spend 2500 for two days. So I did my research.

I wanted to stay somewhere close to the venue of my seminar. Luckily, I learned that there were a lot of cheap places to stay in Malate because the place is also known as a red light district (you pretty much know what I mean). One of the places my classmates recommended me to stay was in Malate Pensionne.



The place was really a good place for backpackers and visitors who just wanted a place to stay for a night or so. I checked out their website and they also had promos. I was able to find an economy room for 2 on a 650 rate. That was really cheap. But, you get what you paid for. The room had only a big bed, a vanity mirror and table, and an electric fan. I wished I got a room with air conditioner but overall, I wasn't feeling luxurious and just needed a place to sleep.


We woke up at 8, showered, and got dressed for the one day tour in Manila. A good friend of mine, grew up in the place and was very familiar of the place. He also helped us find cheap but good places to eat and how to commute around. We walked and rode the jeepneys the whole day and haven't took the taxi.These are all the places (in sequence) we visited in just a day.

Manila Bay
Plaza Rajah Sulayman
Malate Church
Binondo Church
Bonifacio Shrine
San Sebastian Church
Quiapo Church
National Museum of the Philippines
Manila Cathedral
Fort Santiago
If you noticed, most of the places I've been are not in the malls or buildings. I studied history in college and I choose to go to places where there are historical significance. Well, their history is what makes them who they are today. It's sad to say that most of these places are ignored by many people and only few appreciate what still survives from the past.

1 comments:

Write comments
deeps
AUTHOR
August 7, 2016 at 8:00 PM delete

hope to tour Manila one day... thanks for sharing

Reply
avatar